Friday, June 10, 2011

Make it Masculine

June stamp camp theme:  "Make it Masculine"
Cards for men and boys


Men, boys, camping, s'mores.  They all go together.  (I'm happy to be camping, too--so I know there are other ladies out there that would love this, or any of these "man-worthy" cards.)  The Big Shot helped us make the cracker dots on the front, along with our paper trimmer and a scoring blade.  Don't forget the corner rounder for the marshmallow, and the scallop circle for the bites!
I love this idea for a "pocket" on the inside of the card--it's just a little flap.  The size of this card is just 1/2 a sheet of card stock (half a sheet measures 5 1/2" by 8 1/2"), and when it's folded and the inner flap is made, it's square: 4 1/4" x 4 1/4".  Inside, it's just the right side of the card that loses 1-1/4" of its length (the size of the flap on the left side).

This card was one of my favorites, and I'll admit it's not my own design--I eagerly copied it from an un-known (or not-remembered) online source.  The panel on the left side was made with a soft Stampin'  Up! sponge dabbed in Old Olive ink and rubbed directly onto the card, which was masked off with two large Post-it notes.  The trees were spiced up with the Stampin' Write markers and the "thumping" technique (adding different tones of green to the branches). 
Faux buttons--so cool!  To make this button, I punched four 3/4" circles, and one ring of the same size (punch a 1/2" circle and then punch around that with a 3/4" circle) out of Old Olive card stock.  I glued all the layers together.  I punched the button holes through the center with my Crop-a-dile (awesome tool for punching holes through very thick things).  Lastly, I coated the button with Crystal Effects.  It takes about 30 minutes to dry.  You can also make small heart-shaped buttons, or flower-shaped buttons; any shape you wish to punch!

Here's the simple front of the card you see in the next two photos.  As a small detail, but worthwhile--we added a little color to the bodies of the mosquitoes with the Versamarker.


The FUN of this card was mainly on the inside : ).  Who can resist these cuddly campfire friends?



This stamp set has been on my wish list for a long time, and I finally felt it was the right time to buy it.  It's a good thing I finally caved because now it's on the retiring list!  I especially love the combination of the two themes here, "time" and "father"--a fitting thought for remembering dads on their special day.
I hope you enjoyed the masculinity of my presentation today : ).    Leave a note to let me know what your favorite card or technique was, okay?

----
Jenna asks:  What is the relationship between your dad (or brother/husband/son/grandpa, etc.) and creativity?

1 comment:

  1. My dad is an artist. Lately he has been making hand-made birthday cards for all of his family members, watercolor paintings of Disney characters and such. So much fun! My dad's dad was an artist by profession, and we have some of his pen and ink drawings of historical buildings from the area where he lived. One of my brothers took over that same grandpa's talent for making stained glass windows, and two of my brothers have made illustrations for novels! And my oldest brother can do anything and everything, so of course he's an awesome artist too (paintings, drawings, etc.). My family is full of artistic men! Oh, one last thing--I'll always treasure the time brother #3 let me help him stamp his own Christmas cards one year : )!

    ReplyDelete